EFSP was created by Congress to help meet the needs of hungry and homeless people throughout the United States and its territories by allocating federal funds for the provision of food and shelter. CSP uses the Rent/Mortage category and it is intended to allow CSP to pay a one month amountof rent or mortage fro qualifying clients. Each household may receive this assistance only once per spending period.
- One month of past due balance of rent or mortgage
- One month of current balance of rent or mortgage
- First month’s rent
NOTE: When paying on rent or mortgage for mobile homes, agencies may include the cost of lot fees in the payment.
- More than one month’s rent or mortgage payment
- First month of new mortgage
- All fees, including late fees, condo fees, homeowner association fees/dues
- Rent or mortgage on an agency’s own facility is not eligible
The following conditions must be met before payment is made:
- For current rent: payment due within 10 calendar days
- For past due rent: amount paid must be totally outstanding at the time of payment
- All other resources have been exhausted
- The home/apartment is the client’s primary residence
- Client must be the one responsible for the rental payment
- Payment is limited to one month of assistance per spending period
- Payment must guarantee 30 days additional service
- Assistance can be provided to the client by only one LRO in the jurisdiction
Documentation Requirements -RENT
First month’s rent:
- Dated and signed lease, complete with all pages OR
- Landlord letter (dated and signed by landlord) with client’s name and address, the move-in date, and monthly rent amount
NOTE: Leases are only accepted as stand-alone documentation for cases of first month’s rent.
Current month’s rent:
- Landlord letter (dated and signed by landlord) with client’s name and address, the specific month being covered, and monthly rent amount.
Past due month’s rent:
- Landlord letter (dated and signed by landlord) with client’s name and address, the specific month being covered, monthly rent amount, and the total rent amount outstanding at the time of payment.
NOTE: Agencies are strongly urged to use the landlord letter formats in the EFSP Manual.
Documentation Requirements - Mortgage
Mortgage assistance is limited to principal and interest only; escrow, taxes, insurance and late fees cannot be included in the payment. Only mortgages on principal residences are eligible; payments on 2nd mortgages and lines of credit are not eligible. Forbearance loans and loan modification payments are also ineligible.
Current month’s mortgage:
- Mortgage statement, coupon or letter from mortgagor showing the client’s name and address, the mortgagor name, account number, monthly amount of principal and interest.
Past due month’s mortgage:
- Mortgage statement, coupon or letter from mortgagor showing the client’s name and address, the mortgagor name, account number, monthly amount of principal and interest and the amount outstanding at the time of payment.
Proof of Payment for all Rents/Mortgages:
Submit a copy of canceled checks (front and back), or copy of uncanceled fronts of checks and bank statement. Check images included in bank statements are accepted. Debit card or electronic payments require bank statement that identifies the vendor by name. Credit card payments require canceled check payable to the credit card company. Debit and credit cards must be in agency’s name.
NOTE: Cash payments, money orders and reimbursements to individuals who are not the landlords or mortgagors are ineligible.